UK Mining Walks & Visits Log

Durham and Northumberland Mining Walks

Journals of mining walks

Mine Links

    North East Coal Mining Visit 2013
  A Brief Description

Distance = Driving and short walks
Route = NA
Start / End = NA
Weather = Sunny and warm

It was an early start and a nice summers day ahead for our visit to the North East, one of a few more planned. The first port of call was the most northerly; the site of Cambois Colliery (NZ302845) with remains of pithead baths, canteen,offices and workshops. The next three sites were in and around Blyth, the first of these was Horton Grange Colliery (NZ284815) with a number of uncertain buildings and a pithead baths. The second of these three was Bates Colliery (NZ304823), not much remains of the colliery buildings, but a trip up the bank behind the shafts gives good views of both the modern disused staithes and the older set of wooden ones. The third site in Blyth was that of Mill Pit (NZ316809) at Crofton, the remains of the baths, office and workshops is tucked away with new houses taking up part of the colliery site. The next place was the site of New Hartley Colliery (Hester Pit) (NZ301771), saddly this colliery is famous for the 1862 disaster where 204 loss their lives, although itself forming a major part in new legislation in 1872. The site of the engine house shaft remain as part of the memorial alongside the road in New Hartley.

The next set of collieries area group of three, to the north of Shiremoor; the first of these visited was Earsdon Colliery Church Pit (NZ316722) - the first in the area to be converted to electricity - an excellent site comprising of large pithead baths (dated 1927), early sub-station, winder house (probably converted to early electric), transformer house, office and loco shed; all building in use as stables/farm (many thanks to the site owner for allowing access on to site). The next site is just a few hundred metres away up the road, it is the site of East Holywell Colliery Fenwick Pit (NZ312729). Although the site is derelict and abandoned, at the time of the visit most of the colliery buildings were still there including: pithead baths, canteen, engine house, store, workshops and numerous others. The third this trio, alebit not quite impressive as the previous two, was still worth a quick visit; the site of Backworth Colliery (Eccles Pit) (NZ304719) consists of a long set of workshop numerous shaft caps and probably some of the original managers house/offices buildings nearby. Although our general direction was south, we headed slightly north to the next site; Seghill Colliery (NZ290749) with possible winder house, loco shed, managers house and numerous other buildings. Next on the list was Weetslade Colliery (NZ258722) with the pithead baths complex and other buildings within a scrap yard/depot.

On this trip, the sites so far had been north of the Tyne; thus continuing our journey south we headed to Gateshead and the site of Friars Goose Beam Engine House (NZ266620), originally sunk in 1798 and later for pumping as William Pit. Leaving this site we headed further east to the site of Wardley Colliery (NZ306620) which later merged with Follonsby Colliery, the site is located at the end of a housing estate with the derelict remains of sub-station/transformer house, pithead baths and other part demolsihed buildings. Our next site was one which was not on the original list, but one which Ian had not seen, hence a short detour took us to St Hilda Pumping Engine House (NZ361667) located in the middle of an industrial estate. The original site after Friars Goose was Washington F Pit headgear and engine house, however we had both been before. Thus, the next place to see was that of Lumley 6th Pit (NZ310506) with a number of buildings at the industrial park. Located about half a mile east is the site of Lambton Colliery (NZ318507) D Pit with the remains of pithead baths complex , canteen, offices and the old fan pit on Lady Anne Pit.

After Lambton, the journey continued west to the next site of Craghead Colliery (NZ212506), which comprises a number of buildings in use as an industrial estate. A little further west we arrived at the site of Morrison (South Moor) Colliery (NZ173510); a nice set of buildings including offices with clock, baths and original offices. The next site we wanted to see was Morrison Busty Colliery (NZ176508), unfortunatley however, most of the site is gated and cannot be accessed. From here we continued the route heading slightly further west, to the site of the fan house at Stony Heap Colliery (NZ147515).

Our next site on the list was a fair drive, but heading back towards the A1; just of the A691 is the site of Langley Park Colliery (NZ211457), the offices are alongside the main road, however in the industrial estate are the remains of pithead baths, workshops and offices. Leaving Langley Park we headed to Sacriston and the site of a complex of different mines (NZ234478), the buildings along the road include workshops, offices and others. The light was starting to fade, so off we headed south along the A1, and to the next two sites. The first was Thrislington Colliery (NZ308338) with a number of building in the yard / industrial estate including Winder House, baths and offices?. The next was also our last site, and is that of Garmondsway Pit (NZ333338) with winder house and possible part of baths, the site in use by Veolia.

This visit was an excellent visit with some good sunshine. There are hopefully a few more trips to the North East.

Garmondsway Pit